Followers

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Google Flight Simulator

Lately, I have been cruising around the bay in my F-16 practicing my landing skills. Obviously, I don't have a real F-16. I fly in Google Earth Flight Simulator. If you want to fly too, download Google Earth 5(if you already haven't) and go to Tools. Here you will see Tour, GPS, and Google Flight Simulator. Click Google Flight Simulator. There are 2 planes you can choose, a F-16, which cruises at 400 mph, and maxes out at 1010 mph, or a biplane( the s-22?) which cruises at 150 mph, and maxes out at about 400 mph. You can choose a airport from the choice , or you can go somewhere on Google earth, and then fly from there using Current View. Anyways, back to my flights. Before, I was trying to learn how to land. Back then, I used the keyboard to navigate. On the keyboard, up is down, down is up, and left and right are left and right. I would just go straight, because turning would send me into a nose-down spiral. Now, I use the mouse. The controls are pretty much the same( move mouse up for down, move mouse down for up etc...) but they have much more control. Turning is MUCH easier than on the keyboard. To turn, I just need to move my mouse left/right and keep the mouse in that position until I have completed my satisfied turn. Since the controls are so much easier now, I can navigate around the planet like a pro. I have flown through the Himalayas, flown twisted and turned my way through the Grand Canyon ( that too at 800 mph) and explored parts of the bay. Though, as easy as it is to navigate with the mouse, it is harder to land. Since I am usually flying around the SFO Bay Area, I have put a thumbpin on every single airport. SFO International, Oakland Iternational, Palo Alto, an abandoned( i think) Alameda airport, a Hayward exclusive airport, ... and of course, our neighborhood Livermore Municipal Airport. I can easily find these airports as well as my home, but I can't land at any of these airports. I take about 20 minutes to get my altitude down, my speed down to 300 mph, and to find a airport, but most always I crash. The problem is that when I come down, the plane bounces back up. Then, eventually I run into a hill. Another problem is that as soon as I touch the ground I crash. The last major problem is that I take so much time getting down at the right speed, and angle that I miss the runway. Once, I was trying to land at the SFO airport , and missed. I immediately started turning the plane around. But at the speed that I was going at, when I stopped turning, I was hovering over the Half Moon Bay airport. In the same way, I was trying to land at the Oakland airport. I missed, and this time I turned around and saw the San Jose Airport to the North. One other problem I face is that I have so man airport thumb pins around San Francisco, that I mistook San Jose airport to be a thumb pin to be my own home. For this reason, turned around, and realized I was traveling through the mountains behind Livermore. At that point I saw my real home. Eventually, I turned around, but I was still somewhat lost even though I'd flown through the area about 20 times. At some time I got bored of earth, and clicked on the planet icon on the top of the window, and traveled to mars. From there, I went to Olympus Mons, and flew off, some 200,000 feet from the ground. Unfortunately, my keyboard and mouse had jammed( only for Google Earth), just like they had with My cousin. Because of this, I ended up hurdling to the martian floor. All in all, Google Earth Flight Simulator is a pretty good pastime, for a free google earth add-on. It, like other products, is a great Google product. (I'm sorry if your eyes are tired by now from reading this)

1 comment:

Bookworm said...

actually, if you extend the landing gear (G) you can land without crashing. However, i do agree with you about the fact the landing is time consuming and too difficult to be very accurate with.